Research Focus on Racial Inequality: (1) Economic/Neighborhood and (2) Health Disparities
Dr. Pratt is an Associate Professor in Human Development and Family Science in the Department of Human Sciences in the College of Human Ecology at The Ohio State University (OSU). She also has appointments in the Departments of Surgery and Pediatrics at OSU. She completed her doctorate in Medical Family Therapy at East Carolina University, in which she worked as a clinician-researcher in a variety of weight management, health care, and community health settings with rural, low-income, racial/ethnic minority families. Dr. Pratt is currently a Research Scholar in Residence with the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity. In this capacity, she is assisting in developing research infrastructure, collaborations, and research opportunities in the areas of racial inequality related to economic/neighborhood and health disparities. Dr. Pratt works extensively with OSU’s Comprehensive Center for Weight Management, Metabolic, and Bariatric Surgery, in which she conducts research and oversees behavioral health and family therapy services and outreach to families in urban and rural communities. She also collaborates on pediatric weight management projects aimed at reducing severe obesity among children and adolescents in the greater Columbus area with Nationwide Children’s Hospital Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition. She is an Associate Editor for Families, Systems, & Health and Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care, and is a Topic Editor for the International Journal for Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). Dr. Pratt has received funding for her work, produced >50 peer-reviewed publications, and has conducted >200 presentations at local, national, and international conferences.
- PI: K. Pratt. (2018-2020): Preventing obesity among at-risk children of adult weight management patients. Co-Is: Noria S, Taylor CA, Spees C, Eneli, I. OARDC: SEEDS.
- PI: K. Pratt (2020-2023): Establishing Postoperative Bariatric Surgery Resources in Columbus Communities of Color. Co-PI: Focht B. Co-I: Hanks D. College of Education and Human Ecology BIG Idea Grant.
- PI: K. Pratt (2020-2021): Establishing Postoperative Bariatric Surgery Resources in the Columbus Community. OSU Office of Outreach and Engagement.
- Co-PIs: K. Pratt, I. Eneli. (2020-2022). Parent-Child and Family Factors that Associate with Dietary Change, Weight Loss, and Drop Out among Black Youth in Pediatric Weight Management Programs. NIH National Center for Advancing Translational Science; Integrating Special Populations Pilot Grant; OSU Center for Clinical and Translational Science.
Select Publications: (* notes student mentee at time of publication)
- Pratt, K.J., Skelton J.A., Lewis, K.H., Taylor, C.A., Spees, C., Brown, C.L. (2020). Family Meal Practices and Weight Talk of Adult Weight Management and Weight Loss Surgery Patients. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 52(6), 579-587. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2020.04.001.
- Brown, C.L., Skelton, J.A., Palakshappa, D., Pratt, K.J. (2020). High prevalence of food insecurity in weight management and bariatric surgery patients. Obesity Surgery. Obesity Surgery, 30(9), 3634-3637.
- Pratt K.J., & Sonney, J.T. (2020). Family science and family-based research in integrated and health care contexts: Future considerations for Families, Systems, & Health. Families, Systems, & Health, 28(1), 1-5. DOI: 10.1037/fsh0000477.
- Pratt, K., *Cotto, J., Xu, J., Watowicz, R.P., Walston, M., Eneli, I. (2019). Adolescents and Parents’ Perspectives of a revised Protein-Sparing Modified Fast for Adolescents with Severe Obesity. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(17), 3385.
- Eneli, I., Xu, J., Tindall, A., Watowicz, R., Worthington, J., Tanner, K., Pratt, K., Walston, M. (2019). Using a Revised Protein Sparing Modified Fast (rPSMF) for Children and Adolescents with Severe Obesity: A Pilot Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(17), 3061.
- Pratt, K., Jalilvand, A., Needleman, B., Urse, K., *Ferriby, M., & Noria, S. (2018). Postoperative Outcomes based on Patient Participation in a Pre-surgery Education and Weight Management Program. SOARD, 14(11), 1714-1723.
- Pratt, K. *Van Fossen, C, *Cotto Maisonet, J., *Palmer, E., & Eneli, I. (2017). Mothers' Perspectives on the Development of Their Preschoolers' Dietary and Physical Activity Behaviors and Parent-Child Relationship. Clinical Pediatrics, 56(8), 766-775. DOI: 10.1177/0009922816684598.
- Pratt, K., *Palmer, E.N., Cravens, J.D., *Ferriby, M., *Balk, E., & *Cai, Y. (2016). Explicit weight-bias among marriage and family therapy students. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 42(2), 287-301.
- Pratt, K., McRitchie, S., Collier, D., Lutes, L., Sumner, S. (2015). Parent & family influences on adopting healthy weight-related behaviors: Views and perceptions of obese African-American female adolescents. Journal of the National Medical Association, 102(2), 74-79.
- Pratt, K., Lazorick, S., Lamson, A., Ivanescu, A. & Collier, D. (2013). Quality of Life and BMI changes in youth participating in an integrated pediatric obesity treatment program. Health & Quality of Life Outcomes, 11, 116-125.